Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Industry Classifications

I thought it would be appropriate to define the types of industries plant rats work in. Roughly speaking there are three types of general industry classifications. I work in a secondary type industry. My plant takes incoming materials and produces products. In fact, we use little raw material. We mostly take incoming components and produce final assemblies.
  • Primary Industry (sources of raw materials) – e.g., Off-shore oil rig in Gulf of Mexico petroleum-based feedstocks, mining.
  • Secondary Industry (converts raw materials into products) – e.g., Maytag’s microwave cooking units
  • Tertiary Industry (service industries) – e.g., repair and maintenance of automobiles.

Now that I think about it, farming is also a primary industry.

I would be interested in hearing about your industry!

No comments: