Tuesday, October 14, 2008

John Malkovich Feels Your Pain

The November issue of Esquire features a "What I've Learned" by John Malkovich. A few of his comments struck home.
"Nothing you do particularly matters. But I'm not sure that's a great excuse for doing it poorly."

How often have you had to run against the organizational barriers that stood in your way? Perhaps there was a manufacturing cost reduction that needed a dozen approvals before you had the chance to even run TRIALS. The better of us keep pushing even when you feel that it will not amount to much.
"I've pretty much learned not to worry about things I can't control. I often find myself with friends or acquaintances and they're worrying about this or that - I say, You're worried about the plane going down? What are you, a pilot?"

This is a good one. I often hear, "I am worried about this...or that." I always respond happily that by identifying a potential problem we have a great chance of developing the process to prevent it, or at least detect the problem. Knowing the failure mode is a big part of the solution. Remember the old idiom, necessity is the mother of invention. Sometimes the organization needs worried non-pilots. In the manufacturing business there is little you cannot control if you just know what "it" is that you need to control.

The November issue of Esquire also features Halle Berry as the "Sexiest Woman Alive"

No comments: